All photography provided by Melanie Rodriguez
MPress Records, New York, NY 2009-Present
Director of Marketing and Publicity (2011 to present)
Promotions Coordinator (2009 to 2011)
Recruited to develop and lead a marketing and publicity department for a boutique record label that specializes in singer-song-writers and alternative rock bands. Hired and manage two marketing staff. Design and implement marketing strategies that incorporate traditional and digital media, events, corporate sponsorships, and not-for-profit partnerships. Oversee the production of all content, videos, and graphics for collaterals, websites, and social media. Write press releases and pitch stories to the media. Manage national campaign budgets. Engage and provide creative direction to public relations agencies and freelance photographers, stylists, directors, and videographers. Conduct market research on prospective artists.
· Dramatically improved visibility of artists, achieving a ten-fold increase in attendance at South by Southwest and CMJ Music Marathon events. Secured media partnerships and negotiated event sponsorships with high profile names, such as Audio-Technia, Kind Bar, and Women in Music.
· Rebranded artist Melissa Ferrick, creating a slick new image that aligned with the performer’s music, driving a 50% increase in CD presales, the acquisition of 1,800 new email subscribers, and a dramatic lift in YouTube views with CD reaching #35 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart.
· Crafted tour branding campaigns for Grammy Nominee Seth Glier that connected the artist with culturally relevant causes, raising the artist’s profile through extensive media exposure. Garnered national coverage with USA Today premiering video online and publishing a feature article on the artist.
· Increased the media buzz for new releases by launching an online news platform that highlights the latest talking points on artists and supports distributors, radio promoters, and public relations agencies in promoting new albums.
· Generated new high profit margin sales while increasing the label’s visibility through creating an online store that offers the label’s full CD catalog and artist related merchandise. Spearheaded diverse pre-order campaigns, creating an entirely new stream of revenue for the company.
· Built marketing and publicity strategies for a series of compilation CDs, featuring the label’s roster of artists, with all proceeds donated to charity. Identified not-for-profit partners and secured artists’ support for projects.
· Developed new methods to build the label’s fan database and executed strategy for growth that resulted in 80,000+ email contacts of individuals interested in the brand. Utilize database to distribute targeted messaging to drive awareness of new products and upcoming artist events.
OCD Music Group, INC., Long Beach, NY 2008 to 2009
Director of Artist Relations
Groomed developing artists for a national artist management company specializing in top 40 talent. Wrote press releases, artist bios, and web content. Created sponsorship proposals and pitched prospective investors.
Tenth Street Entertainment, New York, NY 2007 to 2008
Band AM Artist Development, Bayside, NY 2003 to 2007
Talent Marketing Consultant
Designed and executed marketing campaigns for musicians, restaurants, and food festival organizers. Advised clients on all aspects of marketing, promotion, publicity, production, and tour management. Secured venues for events and booked rehearsals and studio recording sessions. Advised performers on issues involving copywriting and contract negotiations.
· Developed marketing strategies and brand identities for up and coming artists. Designed graphics and wrote content for artists’ websites, print collaterals, and social media.
DIFFUSER TOURS, INC., New York, NY 2002 to 2003
CW Post Long Island University, Bachelor of Business Management – 2006
Professional Honors & Affiliations
WOMEN IN MUSIC, New York, NY
Board of Directors/Co-Chair Communications Committee
Direct the development of public relations, social media, and member communications materials for an organization dedicated to advancing the awareness, equality, diversity, and cultural aspects of women in the musical arts through education, support, empowerment, and recognition. Develop marketing plans to support monthly events calendar. Identify and reach out to potential donors, strategic partners, and corporate sponsors.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC (A2IM), New York, NY
Digital Music and Emerging Technologies Committee
Consultant for A2IM Indie Week, the premier industry event for independent music labels.
Billboard Women in Music Nominee, 2013 and 2011
MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), HTML, DreamWeaver, Wordpress, Shopify, MailChimp, FanBridge, FileMaker Pro, Photoshop, Hootsuite, Google (Adwords, & Forms), Facebook Ads, Cision, Hubspot Sidekick, Slack, and Asana.